Thinking about sharing your idea with Move Mining? Great, we can’t wait to hear it! Below, follow the instructions for how to submit. For this competition, you will need one 3-minute video explaining your concept as well as a one-page abstract. Get more details about these items below:
Make a 3-Minute Video
Now that you have your concept, it’s time to develop your 3 minute or less pitch video. We’ve got some tips and tricks for you that may come in handy as you and your team begin filming.
1. Keep it short and sweet. We want to know about your concept in 3 minutes or less. Remember, your video needs to keep the attention of your audience while conveying your concept.
2. The opening shot of your video is your first impression to the world, make sure to simply relay your idea as well as your one-line benefit statement. Your one-line benefit statement summarizes the biggest benefit of your idea in a short phrase or sentence.
3. Video organization is critical, especially when deciding what to focus on. Make sure your video “identifies the problem,” but don’t linger. Most of your video should be about how your concept or idea is a satisfying solution to spreading the positive message and changing the perception of mining.
4. Staging could make all the difference. Creativity is a plus and not only will it help to showcase your team’s talents, but it could also add to the impact your video has. Make sure to film your video in a well-lit environment where the audio is clear.
5. Don’t spend too much time on introductions. Keep your team intro short and move quickly to the concept. Since your video time is valuable, you will want every second to showcase your concept and idea.
6. Test run. Want to know if you’re on target with your video and messaging? Hold a private screening of your new pitch video to see how well it’s received by your friends and family (they are, after all, a sampling of your target audience!) Watch their reactions. Do they seem excited? Are they confused? Did they understand your concept right away? Ask questions and get their feedback.
Want to learn more? Read more on Inc.com
Preparing Your Abstract
Along with your 3-minute concept video, you will need to submit a one-page type-written abstract in English (translation services are available for the abstract through October 30, 2020). The one-page abstract should summarize the core ideas and building blocks of your concept to provide a very high-level overview. These abstracts will be paired with your video submission to viewed by the judges when determining the 4 finalists.
Abstract questions include:
• In a few words, describe the general idea of your concept (game/social media/signs/book, etc.)
• In a brief paragraph, describe your concept and how it will change the public’s perception of mining.
• In a few words, describe your intended audience.
• Please show a general breakdown and total projected cost of your project, if it were to be noticed or sponsored.
• How far reaching do you envision your concept, that is, how many people and at what age ranges do you think your concept will reach?
• Briefly please include any additional information you would like judges to know about your concept.
When submitting your documentation online for your concept, please make sure to include the abstract form with your submission. Videos will not be posted without the completion of the abstract.
Download the Abstract Form
Filming Best Practices
So you’re thinking, “We don’t have professional video equipment, how can we create a professional looking video?” Well don’t worry, there are some amazing resources on how to your use iPhone or Android to film professional looking pitch videos.
Shooting Video with an iPhone, by Wistia
5 tips for shooting videos on Android, by AndroidCentral
The best free video editing software of 2020, by TechAdvisor
$5,000 Grand Prize
The top winner of Move Mining will win $5,000!
Move Mining competitors have a chance to be chosen as one of the top five finalist teams to compete virtually at the live Move Mining event at the MineXchange 2021 SME Annual Conference & Expo late February/March (date and time tbd). Not a finalist? Catch the excitement through live Facebook streaming.
Vote for your favorite entry to win the People’s Choice and advance straight to the live event!
Along with your video, there will be a required one-page abstract that includes the core elements of your concept. These abstracts will be crucial in providing supporting documentation for the finalist judging committee.